The following requirements are also outlined in section IX of the NCGP's bylaws.
Any group of North Carolina residents from a defined geographic area of the state may form a local affiliate of the North Carolina Green Party (NCGP). To do this, the local group must
1) consist of at least five members,
2) commit to support and uphold the Green Party's Ten Key Values,
3) elect officers,
4) hold at least two publicly announced meetings in a six-month period, and
5) establish bylaws that define membership, principles of governance, geographic region, and its decision-making process—and the chapter's bylaws must be in compliance with the NCGP's own bylaws.
Documentation of the attainment of these requirements should be sent to the NCGP's Coordinating Committee's secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) as an application to become an affiliated local chapter of the state party.
If the local chapter chooses to raise or spend its own money, it must also register as a legal political committee with the North Carolina State Board of Elections, elect a treasurer who must become certified by the State Board of Elections, and comply with all state campaign finance laws. The preceding are requirements of the state of North Carolina. All information on meeting these requirements can be found at www.ncsbe.gov under "Campaign Finance." The chapter's officers may also contact the NCGP's treasurers for assistance with these compliance issues. However, the local chapter is not required to register as a legal political committee in the eyes of the state if the chapter opts to not collect any monies and to instead have its activities directly funded by the state party.
Best Practices and Guidance for Forming a Local Chapter
We have a local growth chair who can guide your group through the process of becoming an affiliated local chapter of the NCGP. Get in touch at email@example.com.
Read these informational guides from the Green Party of the United States (GPUS), from our state party, and from our Triangle chapter:
1) NCGP Platform
2) GPUS Platform
3) NCGP Bylaws
4) Triangle Green Party Bylaws
5) GPUS Organizing Tools
6) GPUS Process Manual—for holding meetings and decision-making