Take the ballot access pledge
The North Carolina Green Party is fighting a history of voter suppression—the Republican and Democratic Parties that run the state have placed tremendous restrictions on the rights of other parties and independent candidates to run for office. The two parties insist that an alternative party or independent candidate collect over 94,000 petition signatures just to get on the ballot. It's the most undemocratic signature requirement in the nation.
What makes the two major parties think they can exclude others from the democratic process, especially in a time when a majority of Americans consider themselves neither Democrat nor Republican? That's not democracy.
Despite this huge hurdle, we're working to ease ballot access laws in North Carolina and are gathering the required signatures to get on the ballot. And we have a plan to do it. Will you join us?
• We need 200 volunteers committed to collecting 500 signatures by January 1, 2018.
Five hundred signatures?! It's not unrealistic. On on Election Day, one of our members collected 174 signatures in one day. Another collected 110 signatures in one day. Another collected 38 in an hour and a half. It's entirely possible to collect 500 in a matter of months.
If we all work together, as a team, we can do this. The other parties do politics by organizing money. We must do it by organizing people.
Take the pledge. By clicking the button below, you are pledging that you will fight to collect 500 signatures by January 1, 2018.
The North Carolina Green Party will follow up with you and provide you the support you need.
Resources to get started:
- Download and print the NCGP Ballot Access Petition.
- Download and practice our Petitioning Script.
- Read our "Tips for Gathering Signatures" Guide.
- Join the NCGP Facebook group and our Organizers group to connect with petitioners like you.
- Contact Jan Martell, our Ballot Access Chair, with your questions.